What to Expect in Your First Infertility Consultation?
Deciding to consult a naturopath as an infertility specialist, it is an important milestone in your journey towards parenthood. Everyone’s experience is unique; however, the first thing to know is that an initial consultation can last 1 ½ hour.
After being greeted by the naturopath, she will review your medical history and discuss your family building goals. Based on your history, age, and how aggressively you wish to pursue treatment, your doctor will order a number of diagnostic tests to evaluate both partners.
Blood work will be recommended to evaluate the most important aspects of fertility: eggs, sperm, structures such as fallopian tubes and the uterus, as well as hormone levels on both partners. The results of these tests will assist in formulating the type of procedure that will provide you with the optimal chances of achieving a successful pregnancy.
In addition, there are several steps we recommend to better prepare your body for a healthy pregnancy and delivery:
- Quit smoking
- Eat a balanced diet
- Take pre-natal vitamin daily recommended by your naturopath
- Exercise regularly
- Decrease stress in daily life (meditation, holistic magnetic massage, acupuncture, support groups, regular exercise, hobbies, etc.).
Helpful Hints for Your Initial Naturopathic Infertility Consultation
- Providing your doctor with a full and accurate history will enhance your chances of success. Please bring any recent records you may have regarding previous fertility treatment, prior gynecological surgery, etc. If possible, send this information in ahead of time.
- You will receive a lot of information during your naturopathic consultation. Take notes, ask questions, also, consider coming prepared with notes and or questions for the your naturopath.
- Remember that you will set the pace of protocol. If a recommended protocol is too expensive – or not aggressive enough to suit your needs, feel free to voice that to the naturopath. You are in the driver’s seat.
A note about the emotional aspect of beginning your protocol: We appreciate you, by the time you walk through our doors, you may have been dealing with infertility for months, or even years. It is a big step to begin the process of evaluation and protocol; therefore, your first visit here is an important day. It is not uncommon to feel excited and hopeful at the prospect of getting pregnant, while at the same time nervous because you don’t know what to expect or fearful that the protocol may not work. Fertility protocols can impact work schedules, vacation plans, finances, marriages, families, and self-image.
Although there may be logistical, emotional, financial, or medical obstacles that cause delays or changes in your health plan, it is our goal to meet your individual needs at every turn. Please feel free to ask questions, take your time, and voice your concerns. We are committed to partnering with you in your care and will do everything we can to make your treatment a success.
1 Week Prior to Appointment
- Call 281-872-3000 to confirm your appointment no later than four (4) business days prior to your scheduled appointment.
- Print the intake forms Client/patient/policies forms from our website www.OmanaNaturalWellness.com click on Resources.
- Fill out the intake forms and return the documents via email or through our Portal Health system (HIPPA compliant) (completed by both partners)
Day of Appointment
- In the office sign Disclaimers of Privacy Practices – Acknowledgement and Consent Forms
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes early for your appointment.